A. Business name should be comprised of three different parts namely: Dominant Name, Infix( for specialized line of business), and Business Descriptor (defines the nature of business).
Example: Juan Watch Repair Shop
Dominant Name – Juan
*Infix – Watch
Business Descriptor – Repair Shop
*Infix is required if the nature of business needs to be specific.
B. BNs that are NOT registrable are:
• Those which are or whose natures of business are illegal, offensive, scandalous, or contrary to propriety (e.g Popoy’s Jueteng Betting Place, Boobs Massage and Spa);
• Those which are the same, nearly the same as or confusingly the same with an existing registered business name, company, partnership, corporation, cooperative name; nor it infringes on any trademark, service mark or tradename (e.g Anne Dok’s Lechon, Jolibee, Starbax Café);
• Those which are composed purely of generic or geographic words (e.g The Laundry Shop, Bacolod);
• Those which by law or regulation cannot be appropriated (e.g OTOP, Intelligence, State College);
• Those used to designate or distinguish, or suggestive of quality of any class of goods, articles, merchandise or service (e.g Best Taho Factory, A-1 Auto Repair Shop);
• Those which is used by the government in its governmental functions (e.g NBI Private Investigation Services, DTI Trading);
• Those names or abbreviation of a name of any nation, intergovernmental or international organization (e.g Philippine Manpower Pooling Agency, UNESCO Marketing);
• Those which are deceptive, misleading or which misrepresent the nature of the business (e.g “GOLD CONSTRUCTION SERVICES” where nature of business is recruitment);